Sunday, April 20, 2014

I Do Not Believe, I Hope

While walking alone last Friday night I thought deeply about a world with no God. I thought about the rational way to live in a world void of a god. Would there ever be cause worth dying for? Is there really a reason to try and make the world a better place? And probably most awakening question: In a world where death is the inevitable end, is there any reason to fall in love? Indeed one could extrapolate that: Is there any reason to continue to live?

As I walked alone, I contemplated the utter loneliness of a godless world. The dark street enveloped my mind. It became apparent to me why man would believe blindly in God, and has for many centuries. To face this world as what it is, a material and rather brief existence, is to become aware that the calling of your conscience is a product of chemicals reacting in your brain, and not whispers from a world beyond. It is to grasp that the grave for which we are all bound is approaching rapidly and is truly the end. There is no god looking down and guiding the world to some sublime paradise. There will be no resurrection of passed loved ones, no destroying of the evil, and, worst of all, no purpose for anything that ever was or ever will be.

Thankfully, science has yet to prove unequivocally that God doesn't actually exist, and for the sake of mankind, I hope never will.

I do not believe in God. That is to say, I do not know without doubt that above us is a supernatural Being who is attentive to the world and cares about it's continual existence.

However, in order to continue to strive towards greatness, to have a rationale for my moral actions, I feel the need to hope there is a God. To hope that there is a purpose to my existence, a reason for me to continue to be. Otherwise, I see no reason to love, to laugh, to battle evil, to sacrifice... to be. That hope is what makes all of life meaningful.

 I don't know how long this hope will last. It is hard for me to make an argument for God. All his actions seem non-sensible. Why create a world, then wait billions of years to connect to man, hide yourself from them, and let evil destroy your world? Is it all to test the devotion of the lucky ones born to families of believers? How are we to know which god you are? Are you the popular one of the last few centuries, or perhaps a forgotten god(s)?

The more I learn about evolution (which is very little at this point) the less God is needed to explain the mysteries of the world.

Yet, I hope.

All that being said, I see no reason to believe or trust any of the religions that claim to know God's will. There is no reason, and it is in fact ludicrous, to accept that one preacher knows the will of God more than the next! Why should I live by a set of statues whose divine origin cannot be proved? Religions have always capitalized on man's need for there to be something more than this world and have created elaborate structures to nurture that need. Perhaps a lot of people need that?  Perhaps, to keep that "God hope" alive one needs a structure that claims to be divine? Perhaps, even I will need one eventually?

So to sum up, no, I do not believe that God exists, I hope God exists.

3 comments:

  1. Dear David. I hope I can help. First let me start by telling you that you are to self-involved. Startling isn't it ? If you can digest that we are off to a good start. I firmly know there is a God. My proof is outside your front door. You live in Israel right? No Israel, no God. God promised to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob the land of Israel and He made good on that promise. Abraham received Gods word of a Jewish homeland by faith. He believed while he wandered in and out of the land but had not yet possessed it. The promise of Israel was given to Isaac, the legitimate son of Sarah and Abraham while Ishmael was left out of the promise but was given a place of his own. God has spent a lot of time,( centuries), and manpower,(prophets) trying to show us that He in fact does exist. David get out of your own way and ask God to show you, is He real? Be watchful and quiet your mind. Let God touch your heart. You will be in my thoughts. Your new friend. Karen Johnson

    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind words Karen. I appreciate the concern. I also appreciate your faith.

    I have a few questions on what you wrote:

    1) How does Israel prove God? Though it has been dubbed "miraculous." Is there any reason I should accept it as such? Which religion does it prove by the way? Judaism? Christianity? Islam? Maybe it's Karma? How am I to decide which religion's prophecies the State of Israel proves?

    2) Why shouldn't I be self-involved with my own belief or lack thereof? It seems the most important place to be self-involved.

    3) I also do not understand the meaning of "get out of your own way." What does that mean?

    4) Lastly, how will I know that God has in fact touched my heart? For that matter, how will I know which God(s) touched my heart?

    I do not mean to be sarcastic and I am sorry if I caused any offense. I really do appreciate you reading and commenting on my work. I hope I didn't ruin our new friendship.

    With admiration,
    David

    ReplyDelete